Ballads, Quotes, Sayings, More...
Rainbow Bridge is posted here, in honor of my sister, Lee Vallone Beveridge, and the lifelong bond she shared with one special bay arab, "Bravo".
Thank you for being the wonderful horse my sister loved so much. Good bye, but only for now...
Always There Are the Horses
I ride because I rode as a child when life was simpler and somehow more complete. Only the whiff of a clean horse is needed to remind of days gone by. For always there have been the horses.
I ride because of all the great horse souls who have shared their lives with me and taught me more than I can say. Their names and faces flash before me as old friends. I ride and dream of all the horses I shall never ride. Those I have watched and marveled at from afar for all their grace and beauty. This the stuff of a child's dream, the kind that doesn’t die with time.
I ride because the seasons call to me. Each unique in its appeal and all quite frequently best viewed from the back of a favorite horse.
I ride because of all things, horses are my passion. They inspire and encourage, energize, and challenge in ways not easy to explain to the un-initiated.
I ride because of the rush of stretching one's self just a bit farther today than before both mind and body.
I ride because of those briefest of spans when the partnership comes to full promise; when barriers fall, each footfall is measured and balanced between the two as a dance. There are no others ....only this moment and this ride. The memories of those times stand vivid to be recalled with all their freshness, in times less grand.
But if I must choose, I ride because I have dreams yet to live. I ride because I have dreams yet to have, and what exactly they will be I cannot say ... but always there will be the horses.
I’ll lend you for a little while my grandest foal, He said.
for you to love while he’s alive and mourn when he is dead.
It may be one or twenty years, or days or months, you see,
but will you, till I take him back, take care of him for me?
He’ll bring his charms to gladden you, and should his stay be brief,
you’ll have treasured memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth return,
but there are lessons taught on earth I want this foal to learn.
I’ve looked the wide world over in my search for teachers true.
And from the throngs that crowd life’s lanes, with trust, I’ve chosen you.
Now will you give him total love, not think the labor vain,
nor hate me when I come here to take him back again?
I know you’ll give him tenderness and love will bloom each day,
and for the happiness you’ve known, forever grateful stay
But should I come and call for him much sooner than you’d planned,
you’ll brave the bitter grief that comes, and someday, understand.
The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in
contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire.
~Sharon Ralls Lemon
"One Chance in a Million"
and into the rain and snow
With clouds overhead
and mud down below, A-trotting we do go--ho!
Over the river and through the woods
Whatever the weather brings
Our friends say we're nuts
they won't have the guts
to ride until next Spring!
Over the river and through the woods
With all of our friends we go
We trot along fast, or walk along slow
And rarely do we "whoa!"
OH! Over the river and through the woods
trot on, you valiant bay!
We're upward bounding
and clowning round
It's the very best kind of day.
Dashing down the trail
In a single file trot
O'er the fields we go
Laughing quite a lot (ho! ho! ho!)
Bells on helmets ring
Glow sticks shining bright
What fun it is to ride and sing
A trotting song tonight
OH! Jingle bells! Jingle bells!Jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to rideAll night and all the day--hey!
Jingle bells! Jingle bells!Jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to rideand ride, and ride, and ride, and ride, and ride, and ride, and ride....HEY!
May your horse never stumble
May your heart never ache
May your pocket never empty
May your cinch never break
Event Prospect = Big Fast Horse
Dressage Prospect = Big Slow Horse
Hack Prospect = Pretty Color
Sporting Prospect = Short Fast Horse
Camp Prospect = Fast Horse which can turn
Endurance Prospect = Fast Horse which will turn sometimes
Flashy = White Socks
Attractive = Bay
15.2hh = 14.3hhh
16.2hh = 15.3hh
To Loving Home = Only Expensive
To Show Home.. Very Expensive
Needs Experienced Rider = Potentially Lethal
Elegant = Thin
In Good Condition = Foundered
Free Moving = Bolts
Quiet = Lame in Both Front Legs
Dead Quiet = Lame in All Four Legs
Good in Traffic (Bombproof) = Lame all Round, Deaf and Blind
Loves Children = Kicks and Bites
Pony Type = Small and Hairy
Arab Type = Looks startled
TB Type = Looks Terrified
Quarter Horse Type = Fat
Warmblood Type = Big and Hairy
Draught Type = Big and Exceedingly Hairy
Easy to Catch = Very Old
Must Sell = Wife has left home and taking kids
All Offers Considered = I am in Traction for 6 months
Reluctant = Sale Comes with Title Deeds to Brooklyn Bridge
'You don't need to defend a Lion. You just need to let him
out of his cage.' C.S. Lewis
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.”
- Raymond Lindquist
Coeur is the French word for "heart." When we act with courage, we act from our hearts, not our heads alone. We boldly do what feels right. We may be scared if we're going against the grain, but we have confidence and faith supporting our actions.
Being courageous does not require going into battle, We do not have to be saving someone's life. It takes a lot of courage just to be honest with ourselves and others, to decide to change behaviors, and to leave destructive relationships.
Today I will pray for courage.
Out in the fields with God The little cares that fretted me I lost them yesterday.Among the fields above the sea. Among the winds at play.Among the lowing of the herds,The rustling of the trees,Among the singing of the birds,Thehumming of the bees. The foolishfears of what might happen, I cast them all awayAmong the clover-scented grass, Among the new-mown hay Among the husking of the corn,Where drowsy poppies nod Where ill thoughts die and good are born Out in the fields with God. Author unknown. Thought you might have forgotten this! Take care . Denise Chamberlain
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
25. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ''In five years, will this matter?".
26. Always choose life.
27. Forgive everyone everything.
28. What other people think of you is none of your business.
29. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
30. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
31. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
32. Believe in miracles.
33. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
34. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
35. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
36. Your children get only one childhood.
37. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
38. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
39. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd
grab ours back.
40. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
41. The best is yet to come.
42. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
44. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.